GeoCue’s AirGon LLC UAV subsidiary recently had a press release promoting a turnkey UAV solution on a quadcopter platform to capture ortho data and then convert into point clouds from the imagery (apparently no LiDAR sensor on flight platform in this setup). It plans for mission planning to four days of training and assistance with processing of the data.
I am sure GeoCue will be one of many entering the UAV market with similar solutions. I am focusing on it as it is the first complete package I have seen come to market, it can be sold internationally now and to a growing client base in the United States (pending FAA approval).
The press release is here:
Huntsville, AL – AirGon LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of the GeoCue Group, is pleased to announce the release of the AirGon AV 900 Metric Mapping Kit (MMK). The AV-900 MMK includes all of the components and software that you need for small area photogrammetric mapping (with the exception of a laptop computer on which to run the software and the survey equipment necessary to place ground control points). The system is based on a 6 rotor vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) small Unmanned Aerial System (sUAS) called the AV-900. We have spent a considerable amount of research and development selecting what we think is just the right platform, autopilot, telemetry radios and other kit materials to enable repeatable and reliable mapping operations. The base AV-900 MMK includes:
- AV-900 hexcopter sUAS (based on the DJI-S900 frame) equipped with a PX4 autopilot. This is an AirGon design, integrated in our assembly laboratory.
- Navigation grade GNSS
- Mission Planning software
- Autopilot software
- High capacity battery for 20 minute flight durations
- NEX-5T camera
- 2 axis gimbal camera mount
- Autopilot controlled waypoint camera triggering system
- Battery charging system
- Pelican carrying case with custom foam inserts for the AV-900
- Agisoft PhotoScan software for point cloud and orthophoto generation suitable for base data preparation for volumetric analysis (an upgrade to Pix4D is available for customers needing more advanced base mapping products such as bare earth orthophotos).
- LP360 for sUAS software for QC, point cloud cleanup, volumetric analysis and derived product generation
- 4 days of training (travel expenses not included)
This complete kit is priced at $29,665 and is immediately available. We have a recommendation for a high end laptop PC suitable for point cloud processing listed on our AirGon Knowledge Base. Customers who need to do bare earth orthophoto production can upgrade to the Pix4D version of the AV-900 MMK.
AirGon LLC is the airborne sUAS metric mapping subsidiary of GeoCue Group Incorporated. AirGon is the creator of the AV-900 VTOL sUAS and the AV 900 Metric Mapping Kit (MMK). Additional information can be found at www.AirGon.com or by inquiry via email (email@example.com).